The Treasures of Burgundy
July 03, 2017 - July 10, 2017
- Day 1: (Lodging near Beaune)
- Your guides will meet you at the train station in Dijon.
- Drive through the vineyards of Burgundy's Côte-d'Or to your lodgings in a comfortable, family-run Lodging near Beaune.
- Check in, rest, or take a short country stroll in the village.
- Meet the group to share an apéritif and discuss plans for your stay in Burgundy.
- Day 2: (Lodging near Beaune)
- Guided tour of Beaune's fascinating and strikingly colorful Hôtel-Dieu. From the 15th century until recently it served as a charitable hospital; now it is an impressive repository of art and mementos of customs and medical practices in medieval Burgundy.
- Free time to explore Beaune and/or walk in the vineyards.
- Wine tasting
- Dinner in Beaune.
- Day 3: (Lodging near Beaune)
- Guided walking tour of Dijon, ancient capital of the Duchy of Burgundy, including Dijon's Palace of the Dukes of Burgundy and the old town. Optional visit to the Museum of Fine Arts, considered second only to the Louvre for the excellence of its collections.
- Free time to browse independently. Not to be missed: Moutarde Maille, the factory shop of the company that makes Grey Poupon and other mustards.
- En route back to our Lodging near Beaune, visit the historic Clos de Vougeot, built by Cistercian monks in 12th century. It is surrounded by magnificent vineyards and houses prestigious cellars and collections of wine presses from the Middle Ages.
- Late afternoon
- Visit to a small blackcurrant liquor production.
- Day 4: (Lodging near Beaune)
- Travel to southern Burgundy. Visit the medieval town of Tournus, where a local guide will explain the history and special details of the 10th-century Saint-Philibert Abbey.
- Lunch followed by a walk in the old feudal market town of Brancion, perched on a spur overlooking deep ravines, and the tiny village of Chapaize.
- Guided tour of the château of Cormatin, a jewel dating from the beginning of the 17th century. Stroll in its gardens and walk through its romantic maze.
- Day 5: (Lodging near Beaune)
- Start the day with a visit to the vineyards near Pommard, Volnay and Meursault and taste some of Burgundy's most prestigious wines.
- Later, visit the beautiful château and village of La Rochepot.
- 2 options: Free time or visit to the medieval village and château of Châteauneuf.
- Day 6: (Lodging near Beaune)
- Guided tour of the tranquil Abbey of Fontenay, oldest surviving Cistercian foundation in France. Its beautiful Romanesque church reflects the spirit of order and simplicity.
- Lunch in Flavigny or Semur-en-Auxois.
- 2 options: Free time in Flavigny or Semur, return to our Lodging near Beaune.
- Day 7: (Lodging near Beaune)
- Drive to Auxerre for a late-morning guided tour of the old town, famous for its picturesque houses, its cathedral dominating the skyline above the Yonne River, its waterfront and fascinating little shops.
- Visit the hilltop basilica of Sainte-Madeleine in Vézelay, a Romanesque masterpiece designated by UNESCO as an international treasure.
- Day 8:
- Tour ends after breakfast. Your guides will drive you to Dijon, where you can take the train back to Paris and your fight home, or to your next destination.
Tasting at Ghislaine & Bernard
Medieval shop in old Dijon
Abbey St-Philibert in Tournus
Château of Cormatin
Château of La Rochepot
Vézelay, Ste-Madeleine's basilica
The Treasures of Burgundy
8 days, 7 nights